Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cornerstone


I absolutely love music! I love praising God through music! I can only imagine that is how David felt when he was alive. So often we see where he plays his harp and cries out to his God. This was a man after God's own heart! Pretty powerful statement I'd say. But I think we have something to learn from that. I don't think David would have wrote about that if he didn't think there were other people who would come along after him and experience the same moving experiences through music that he did.

Let's just say today went down as the hardest day of work yet. Our boss actually called the day early because he felt bad for us. The sun was brutal and the weeds were tall. Will and I were given a task to cut all the "grass", which mainly consisted of weeds, briars, and a few patches of grass here and there. In America this task wouldn't have been bad at all. I probably would have called my buddy from across the street, asked to borrow his John Deer and went to town. Well not only do they not have riding lawnmowers here, but they don't even have a push mower. Even on top of that there are no Weed Eaters (that is my next task... I think I can rig up one with a few things from the Market).

One time when I was younger I remember I got in trouble while we were at our family ranch. I can't recall what it was I got in trouble for, even though I still remember vowing to myself to never do it again because of the punishment that took place after. I was given a tool that looked somewhat like a "hoe" except on the end of the handle was a long curved blade. Daddy Burl, my granddad, told me to go cut down all the weeds with stickers on them. Boy, was I mad at that man that day! "You want me to do what?" I thought. I managed to finish the task and don't believe I ever went down that route again. Well I tell that story because when Will and I walked into a overgrown field, full of sliced up mango trees, these were the tools we were given. Well actually, I wish I would have been handed that nice tool Daddy Burl gave me several years ago. No shovels or machetes today, but a combination. It looked like they just stuck a machete on the end of the shovel stick and went to town. I actually had to stop and "re-nail" the plate of the machete to the handle within a few minutes of our work. I'm trying to paint a picture here that you can hopefully visualize. Anyways enough of my whining! Needless to say this work was hard and time consuming but very rewarding at the end when we looked back across a freshly cut field, with a beautiful backdrop of the foothills into the Andes mountains.

I remember looking at Will a few hours into it and saying, "I am on the struggle bus this morning". We both laughed and went back to work, knowing that we made this commitment and nothing was gonna stop us. So naturally I pulled the iPhone out and went to my last resort. I needed some pump up music. Now if you know me, and most of my teammates can tell you, my pump up music is much different than most. I will get very anxious and nervous if I were to throw some heavy rock, or rap into my headphones before a football game. I'm the guy, along with my roomie Jaxon, that is blasting something along the lines of Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, or Disney Pandora station. I also enjoy christian music. I have several artists that I really like but one group I really connect with is the group Hillsong United. Today I had one of those moving moments when a song came on and I hadn't heard it since Easter Sunday. I remember singing it next to my parents in the Erwin Center with hands held high and tears coming down my face. There is just something about the tune and more importantly the lyrics that come with it. If you have never heard it I suggest you pause reading this blog and go listen to the song Cornerstone by Hillsong United. Here are the lyrics, see ya in about 4 minutes with wet eyes... Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZq9xTfHvgo
Cornerstone by Hillsong United

My hope is built on nothing less

Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus name


My hope is built on nothing less

Than Jesus blood and righteousness

I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus name



Christ alone; cornerstone

Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love

Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all



When Darkness seems to hide His face

I rest on His unchanging grace

In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
My anchor holds within the veil



Christ alone; cornerstone

Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love

Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all
He is Lord
Lord of all



Christ alone

Christ alone; cornerstone

Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all



Christ alone; cornerstone

Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love

Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all



When He shall come with trumpet sound,

Oh, may I then in Him be found;

Dressed in His righteousness alone,

Faultless stand before the throne.

Like I have said several times already, I love this song. What sticks out to you about it? To me there are several, and every time I listen to it one of them pierce my heart because of something going on in my life at that time. I know this a song that I clung to during a rough period in my life. "Through the storm, He is Lord, Lord of All!" Amen to that! And thank you Jesus for holding true to that truth at all times and through all storms! I could talk about each part of this song and what it means in my life but this blog isn't about me. At least I don't want it to be. I hope that maybe some of my experiences can enlighten your day and give you that extra "umph" to get you through the day. I, by know means, want you to feel like I am preaching to you because I am the last to have that position! You will completely understand that by the end of this blog. But I want a way to reach the ones who want to be reached. So this is my effort, for the time being!

Today though, one part I really clung to. "Christ Alone, Cornerstone". Wow! I never knew three words could have so much meaning. So many people sing this song and breeze right over these three to get to the part about how He makes us strong, but do we actually realize what we just sang? When I looked up Cornerstone in the dictionary this is what I found: 

1. A stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.
2. An important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based.

Also looking into the "True Dictionary" aka the Word of God, Paul writes to the saints of Ephesus in Ephesians 2:19-22:

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his spirit.

I love the second definition in the dictionary... An important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based. I would say Jesus is a pretty important feature to say the least and we would be crazy not to depend on this particular thing and base our lives on it! But do we actually do that? If you honestly took a look into your life right now, could you say that Jesus is the cornerstone in your life? Is he the cornerstone for your family? It is a tough question and many stray away from actually answering that question, but who are we hiding that secret from? Maybe your friends and co workers are missing it, but the one who cares sees straight through you! You can't hide that from Him! 

There are many things that we replace Jesus with as our cornerstone, especially in America! We have money, clothes, success, jobs, self-perception, education, social status, knowledge, sex, experiences, drugs, and the list could go on and on and on... I can list these because I have tried to make all these my cornerstone at some point in my life and I was never able to find true joy. Not only that, but my life continued to keep going south and I wasn't even trying to hang on. Paul writes to Ephesus and tells them that we are "joined together" through the chief cornerstone Jesus. 

I got back from work and couldn't help but take a nap! It was pretty incredible I might add. But when I woke up I put my iphone on shuffle and what do ya know? The first song to come on is Cornerstone. I just lay there in bed with my hands held high again singing this song, yet all the while praying for God to reveal to me what my cornerstone is in my life. Also not only to reveal it to me, but to help me chisel away at it day by day and put Him in the place he belongs!

Immediately after I walked out to the porch to see the sun beginning to fade away over the horizon. I turned on a podcast that John Mark Davidson gave me that I had been meaning to listen to. It was a sermon by Tim Keller talking about Pride. God definitely had heard my prayer and was screaming at the top of his lungs at me! This was my cornerstone! No doubt about it!

I decided to write this blog today because I believe everyone deserves to hear the way Tim Keller presents this idea. I told Will after turning it off, "If someone doesn't ever hear that sermon, they will be missing out on a whole new view of pride. I gotta blog tonight! Again!" And so I am!

Tim Keller's talk comes from the passage of 1 Corinthians 4. Paul is talking to the church of Ephesus and trying to almost calm them. But he is also trying to enlighten them on something he has come to hold true to. He says in verse 3, 

"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. vs. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.... vs. 6 Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. vs. 7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?"

One thing we must remember is that the meaning of judge in this scripture means: the verdict of either positive or negative. In our every day lives, we are judged by others, and we judge ourselves. Tim talked about how we should take the example of Paul. He says that he doesn't care about the judgements that others lay on him, and then goes even further and proclaims that he doesn't even judge himself. 

How many of us are trying to live up to expectations, whether big or small? These are expectations put on you by yourself or by others. Are you trying to live so highly up to the hoops and hurdles in your life? What happens when we reach those expectations? Tim talks of when we reach those, our egos are fed, which turns out to be something of an internal monster that is never satisfied/full no matter how you are perceived by yourself or others. 

We live in a world that judges every single one of our performances. Most religions when you look at them are all about the works you do on this earth and then you will receive the verdict at the end. I think the reason I love christianity, and even more so the gospel, is because in Jesus Christ, and only in Him, do we get the verdict before the performance. Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..." So what is the reason to have any pride in your life? When I say pride I am talking about the pleasure we feel when we have more than someone else, are better than them at something, or when we achieve the expectations/standards either we or everyone around us have set up for us. We no longer have to live in that world and that is what Paul is trying to explain. We are free!!! "FRRRREEEEEEDDDDOOOMMMMM", as William Wallace would say! We should all be praising God for that, because now we can live with one goal, to further his kingdom on this earth! 

Are you tired of being the mouse in the wheel of pride? It's a never ending killer cycle. I know I've grown tired of it. Living up to expectations that I have set up, living up to the way others perceive me. Finding pride in those things, it's just not worth it. For so long my cornerstone to my life has been my pride. I am constantly wanting to please people. I want to impress coaches and fans! I compare myself to the best quarterbacks in the Big 12. Off the field I try to live up to standards "the church" has made for me, and yet I constantly fall short of those. There comes that monster again. But now I just let it ring... FREEEEDDOOOOMMMMM! 

To wrap it up I want to take a look into 1 Timothy. Because when you read 1 Corinthians 4 you would almost seem to think that Paul is boasting about how he has this figured out and because of this he is better than them. He completely is not saying that! This man who wrote all these books that we live by today says in 1 Timothy 1:15-16, 

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-- of whom I am the worst. vs. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life."

This man Paul, how does he have so much freedom yet claims to be the "worst of sinners"? Because he had it figured out! He had no pride, his pride was Jesus Christ! He had no ego, Jesus bore that one for him on the cross! He had no one to please, except that of Jesus Christ, who now saw him as White as Snow! What a testimony!

This is my prayer tonight: Lord, thank you for Tim Keller and the word he brought to my ears today! Please Lord remove the pride from my life! You are my judge and my only judge! You hold the ultimate verdict! The difference Lord, is that verdict has already been made before my performance here on this earth. You say in Romans 8, that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus! Let me rest in that tonight Father. Soak into my mind, that I don't have to live by anyone's standards anymore! Not even mine! Break my standards down Father. Allow me to live with freedom furthering your Kingdom daily. I struggle with Pride I know! Remove that from my life and replace that cornerstone Lord. This is not easy! It is actually really hard and very scary! I am going to need your help all along the way. Please Lord place your hand on my life, my image, and my heart! I love you Father! I need you Father! and I want You! Amen!

P.S. Thanks to all you who sent prayers up for Jordan and his meeting with his dad! Received a text from him tonight that said it was awesome and everything he prayed for came true! Amazing how strong the power of prayer is! Love ya Jo!

No comments:

Post a Comment