Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Count Your Blessings

"Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings, see what God has done."

So go the lyrics to the old Church of Christ hymn. These songs have rang through my ears all day today. I imagine these lyrics have been in my head for many reasons.

Growing up, all my prayers were out of gratitude. "Thank you for the moon. Thank you for my parents and brother. Thanks for my house and my teachers. And always, thank you for this food."

So naturally when I would sing this song, I would try to literally sit in the pew and count all the many blessings I had been given. Little did I know at such a young age, I was doing something very practical, that today people go to counseling to learn this tactic.

After a few rough weeks of work and just life in general, the good lord has really been on my heart to count my blessings and see what He has done. Through counting my blessings, and getting nowhere close to counting all of them, life just seems to turn around. You see life through a new pair of lenses.

Through the week, singing an old hymn took me back to those days of sitting in church with my parents. It took my mind and my heart into sing-song, remembering another one of my favorite childhood songs.

"My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's NOTHING my God can not do! The mountains are his, and the valleys are his, and the trees are his handiwork too! My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's NOTHING my God can not do!"

It was always fun to sing this song because as we yelled strong and mighty at the top of our lungs, I preceded to flex on the whole church! But how true is this song? How true are all the lyrics we sing? There is NOTHING my God cannot do!

There is story after story I could tell you, even some occurring this week, of examples proving how strong and mighty God is. And countless testaments displaying that there is NOTHING that He cannot do!

So, next time you are in a building singing fellowship with your brothers and sisters, really think about the words you are singing. They are never just words, but more so praises and cries of help.

As for now, I'm am off to celebrate the birthday of one of the biggest blessings in my life. My beautiful girlfriend! Like I said... There is NOTHING my God cannot do! HAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment