Saturday, June 22, 2013

What is God to you?

Woke up this Saturday morning feeling energized like never before. Not gonna lie, I was beginning to get pretty tired! Tired of sleeping in a 100 degrees room, well trying to sleep... Tired of the SLOW pace of the Peruvian lifestyle! My body was just tired. But after a croissant sandwich, a cup of coffee, some quiet time, and a little FaceTime session with my boy Nick Brandt and great friend Zac Allen, I was encouraged and ready to knock out this second half of my trip! Second half! That's right, we are officially half way through this trek. At the end of catching up with Nick, he prayed for Will and I and just encouraged us to not grow weary! We prayed that we "leave it all on the field", and have no regrets when we hop on the plane back to the US of A. That is exactly what I needed to hear, because it would be so easy to sit back, look at what we have already accomplished in our time, and just rest up before we get back to our fast pace lifestyle in America. So thanks Nick for your thoughts and time, so pumped for the opportunity you have been given and praying for you non-stop!



"I love God!" All of us have said or heard someone say that in our lifetime! If you haven't well now you have at least read it because I can proudly proclaim that I do. I love what that statement means to me! But I began to wonder while I was over here, who is God? What is God? And what does that look like?



I searched into my thoughts and what he looks like to me: I see God in creation. Creation of land, trees, mountains, stars, clouds, and probably the most, I see him in people. I see God in sunsets and sunrises. I see God through forgiveness, through His word, and through early morning cups of coffee. I see God through water no matter if it is rivers, lakes, oceans, or ponds, Jesus clearly talks about water A LOT! I see God through colors, music, and the list could go on and on and on. We all have our little ways that we see God and consider him, but I decided to look at scripture and see exactly what God himself refers to Him as.



One thing that I started doing when I got here was I wrote down all the names He refers to Himself as. I read a couple every morning and just proclaim him as that during the day. It has been powerful to me and that is one thing I suggest you do if you are having trouble proclaiming him on a daily basis. Here are just a few...

Bridegroom- Matt. 9:15
Author and Perfecter of our Faith- Hebrews 12:2
Alpha- Revelation 1:8
Comforter- Jeremiah 8:18
Cornerstone- Ephesians 2:20
Everlasting Father- Isaiah 9:6
I AM- Exodus 3:14
Life- John 11:25
Mediator- 1 Timothy 2:5
Rock- Deuteronomy 32:4
Teacher- Matthew 26:18
Way- John 14:6



I love these and the list could keep going, but there is one of these that really sticks out to me! Everlasting Father! Isaiah 9:6 says...

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

I know we have always been told growing up that he is our Father in Heaven. And we usually start our prayers with "Dear Heavenly Father", but do you actually see him as your Daddy? Have you ever addressed him as "Daddy"? If you haven't, I suggest that be a new step you decide to take in your relationship with the Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Prince of Peace, and the Everlasting Father!


I have been blessed with an incredible earthly father, that has done his best as humanly possible to show his love for me in every aspect of my life! So because of him, I have been able to see how much more my Heavenly Daddy pursues me and cherishes me! Obviously, not everyone has been as fortunate as I have been with having a dad like I do. Because of this, there is hope for that love you never received, and it clearly comes from the Pops up stairs! So many of my teammates were raised only by their mom. And there is no doubt the mom in those situations did an incredible job. But there is just something about a fathers love that children long for!



With Father's day on my mind this last week it has been on my heart to start looking at God as Dad. To address Daddy in prayer, and to present my fears to Dad like I did so often as a child on the edge of my bed! Thank you to my father here on earth that decided to actually be a Dad and love his children the way he has! But more importantly thank you to my Daddy that pursued me long before I was born, and the one who continues to love me unconditionally every moment that I drive those nails a little deeper in his hands!



You are, the great I AM! You are, my Everlasting Daddy!


3 comments:

  1. Casey Burl - you are just amazing. I am so proud of you - Love you much. - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes. Your words are truth!
    Praying for you three. Finish strong. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys...so blessed by both of you & your lives...what an honor to walk with you both. Thanks for your prayers Caser.

    ReplyDelete